Studio apartment meaning
What is studio apartment in India? These are newly built living places which are called studio apartment for the modern English appeal attached to it. Studio apartments have become quite popular in India in the past two decades, especially in cities like Mumbai, where space crunch does not allow large residential developments. We look at what studio apartments exactly are and how they help the country solve its housing problems.
Studio apartment configuration
Studio apartment means a configuration that has a living space, a bed space, a kitchen and bathing space. Studio apartment sometimes have partial walls to create a demarcation. For example, if the guests come in, you will have some privacy, if there is a wall.
What is studio apartment size?
Studio apartment or ‘efficiency apartment’, work on the principle of effective space utilisation. Hence, you will see minimum barriers in the form of walls and space demarcation. What is studio apartment in India? It usually has an open floor plan but this may vary, depending upon the city or the locality. For example, a one-room and kitchen (1RK) house is also marketed as a studio apartment, because there is no seemingly definite distinction between the two. The size of studio apartment varies from 250-700 sq ft, depending on the brand of the developer, demand for the same, location, etc.
See also: Décor tips for compact homes
Studio apartment: Price
What is studio apartment in India priced at? Studio apartment come in various price brackets and are usually found in cities, as it is intended for urban home buyers. In upcoming locations, 1RK configurations are the alternative and are often purchased, because of its affordability. In the city centre or strategic locations, such studio apartment may cost up to Rs 1 crore. In upcoming locations, the price of studio apartment may touch Rs 25 lakh.
Studio apartment: Who should consider?
What is studio apartment popular for ? Studio apartment are popular among both, tenants and home buyers as they are best suited for single working professionals, or people staying alone. Paucity of funds may force small families to opt for studio apartments. Those looking at rental returns, can also consider purchasing studio apartments. One can relate to studio apartment meaning investment as they fetch good returns in cities like Mumbai, Delhi or Bengaluru.
Studio apartment and 1 BHK: Difference
Studio apartment meaning and 1 BHK meaning are different but most people tend to use the terms interchangeably. Explained is the difference in studio apartment meaning and 1 BHK meaning. 1BHK units provide a room, a kitchen, hall space and a bathroom and each of these is separate with adequate demarcation. Studio flat means, the apartment is basically a single large room and the one who occupies the place, will have to allocate space for everything within this large room.
See also: Interior design ideas for small homes
Studio apartment: Benefits
Although studio apartment are small, it offers several benefits for tenant and owners.
- Studio apartment means being space-efficient and thus best suited for single dwellers.
- Studio flat means having lower electricity bills, because energy consumption is lesser.
- Studio apartment meaning can easily be termed as affordable in comparison to other configurations.
- What is studio apartment in India known for? The rent in studio apartment here is usually lower, as compared to other types of apartments.
- Studio apartment generally available in central locations, which have good connectivity.
- Studio flat means it requires low maintenance.
Studio apartment: Drawbacks
While studio apartment are popular, there are some factors you should consider, before investing in one.
- Studio flat means not suited for bigger families.
- Studio flat means limited space; no clear demarcation.
- Studio apartment requires additional storage space.
- Studio apartment means lack of privacy, in case you have guests coming over.
Studio apartments: How to divide?
What are studio apartment challenges that come with them ? Creating more space and distinct areas is one of the biggest challenges of living in a studio apartment, which comprises just one room. So, here are some easy ways to overcome this problem.
Room divider curtains
Installing room divider curtains in a studio apartment, is a simple solution to segregate the house. With innovative partition curtains available these days, you can pick one that matches the décor theme of your studio apartment.
Sliding doors look elegant while giving a sense of privacy in a studio apartment. They do not occupy much space, unlike regular doors.
In a studio apartment, a ceiling-high bookshelf, placed perpendicular to a wall, is a practical way to separate the living areas. It will also provide storage space while elevating the décor quotient of the house.
Glass or wooden screen
Adding a glass panel or wooden screen to your studio apartment will enable visual separation while letting sunlight inside the house.
Say no to clutter: As the space in the studio apartment is divided into various functionalities, avoid any form of clutter as they will come on your way thus hampering easy movement. Also, too much clutter will make the space look congested and defeat ease of living.
Studio apartment and rental returns
As already mentioned, if you are looking at rental returns, a studio apartment is a good choice. You require a lesser amount to invest in a studio apartment than in a 1BHK or 2BHK unit. However, rental returns are also proportionate. You can expect anywhere between Rs 5,500 and Ra 15,000 for a standard studio apartment, in a tier-1 or tier-2 city, as rental. It is important to note that the rent a studio apartment depends on the locality and market dynamics, as well. A studio apartment in Bandra, Mumbai, can fetch you much more. Smaller cities do not have a very pronounced market for such small configurations.
Studio apartments around the world
Space efficient homes that stand for what is a studio apartment in India is known by other names across the world. Here’s a list:
|Country||Other names of studio apartments|
|Canada||Bachelor apartment/ bachelor|
|Denmark||1 værelses lejlighed|
|New Zealand||Studio rooms|
|Nigeria||Room self-contain apartments|
|United States||Studio apartment/ alcove studio|
Studio apartment: Things to consider when choosing one
- Decide on a budget: The price of residential units vary, depending on the location, the type of project and the various amenities provided by the developer. It is better to first fix a budget, before selecting a studio apartment.
- Check the livable space: Studio apartment meaning can be explained as property having a a single room.
- Ensure access to infrastructure: Make sure there are facilities like convenience stores, shops, supermarkets and physical infrastructure. It is also crucial to check if workplaces or educational institutes are easily accessible from the locality.
- Look for amenities and features: Before you select a studio apartment, check the various amenities it offers. Fully-furnished luxury studio apartments are more spacious and equipped with furniture and appliances. Also, a studio apartment that allows natural light to enter, is an ideal choice.
Are studio apartment in India expensive?
Just like any other configuration or format, the price of a studio apartment also depends upon its location, demand, brand of the developer, connectivity and other factors. In centrally located areas, studio apartments may be expensive.
Are studio apartment and bachelor’s pad the same?
A bachelor’s pad is a term used for a living space owned by a bachelor.
Is a studio cheaper than a flat?
Studio apartment are more affordable than other apartments of 1BHK, 2BHK or 3BHK configurations. Thus, it is mostly preferred by students and young professionals. However, the total cost may depend upon different factors, such as location, area, etc.
(Additional Inputs: Sneha Sharon Mammen)